Monday, February 13, 2012

Golden Keyes Parsons

 Golden Keyes Parsons is a popular retreat and conference speaker and author of historical novels. Her book, “In The Shadow Of The Sun King,” (Thomas Nelson Publishing), first in a three-book series based on her family genealogy, released Fall 2008, and was named a finalist in the ACFW’s Book of the Year Debut Author category. Her second book, “Prisoner Of Versailles,” was released September 2009 and was named a finalist in RWA’s prestigious Daphne contest and was also a finalist for the AWSA Golden Scroll Novel of the Year. The concluding book in the series, “Where Hearts Are Free” released September 2010 and is a Women of Faith Book Club selection. Her fourth novel, “His Steadfast Love,” a Civil War novel set in Texas, released November 2011. Golden and her husband, Blaine, are retired from the pastorate and reside in Waco, TX. When she isn’t writing or speaking, she is busy with their three grown daughters, eight grandchildren and four great-grandchildren or attending sporting and alumni events at Baylor University.


Where are you right now (LVR, DR, Bathroom) and what are you wearing? You have to tell the truth.

I am in our family room in my big comfortable chair with the huge ottoman. I must confess – I am still in my pj’s J

If you could be any character in any literary book who would you be and why?
That’s a huge question. There are so many choices from all the novels I’ve read, but I’m going to have to say that I would like to be the heroine in my first series, Madeleine Clavell. The reason being that she is patterned after my real ancestor, and I would love to really see what she saw and experience what she went through—to a certain point that is. She had some pretty horrific experiences having to sell her two sons as indentured servants, losing her husband on the ocean voyage to this country, pioneering here alone as a young widow.
What is something that very few people know about you?

I am legally blind in my left eye.

If you could live in any time period when and where would that be and why?

Again, a huge question and so many choices … I think I would like to go back to the late 40’s and early 50’s when patriotism was high; times were relatively innocent; the streets of our cities were safe. I was a child then, but I would like to revisit those days as an adult. They truly were “Happy Days.”

If your life were a book what would the title be?

“She Did What?”

If you could meet any person alive or dead who would that be and why? (excluding the Lord)

I would like to meet Abraham Lincoln. As I wrote “His Steadfast Love” I gained so much respect for that man. He went against popular opinion to do what he felt was best for the country during the Civil War. God’s hand was obviously upon him.

What is your favorite part of writing a story?

After the character developments are done and the outline plotted, actually getting into the flow of the storyline. I am constantly amazed at what flows into my mind and through my fingers as I sit down to type.

What is the funniest, strangest, or most interesting thing you have learned when doing research?

Ummm – how much time do we have here? J I’ll stick to my latest book, “His Steadfast Love.” I don’t think I truly understood how devastated the South was by the Civil War until I got into reading about the battles, watching documentaries of the conflict. The South was virtually destroyed. People were starving, and their homes destroyed, sometimes simply for no reason. Now I can somewhat comprehend why it was so difficult for the South to recover, both physically and emotionally.

What is your favorite material item that you own (examples: ipod, Gone with the Wind book, grandmother’s rocking chair)
I have many sentimental items, and to pick one is difficult. However, if I had to center down on one it would be my brother’s class ring and his desk. He was killed in Vietnam in 1967, and those are precious to me.

The Civil War—a defining time of great sacrifice, change, and betrayal which will determine the fate of the Nation. It isn’t until it comes into her very home that Amanda Belle must face impossible choices of love, loss, and loyalty.
It's the spring of 1861 on the Gulf Coast of Texas. Although Amanda never thought she would marry because of a promise to her dying mother to take care of her siblings, her attraction to Captain Kent Littlefield is undeniable.
When Texas secedes from the Union, her brother Daniel marches off to war to fight for the Confederate States, and Kent remains with the Union troops.
Her heart is torn between the two men she loves and the two sides of the conflict. When she turns to God for help, Amanda expects direction and support, but hears nothing. Is God listening to her anymore? Where is God in the atrocities of war—and whose side is He on?
Amanda senses her life is at a turning point. But she must trust God to bring her family through the chaos that threatens her home, her family, and the beloved state of Texas… with her heart, and her faith, intact.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me on your blog, Debbie Lynne! I always love "talking" to readers and authors and sharing a bit about writing behind-the-scenes.

    Blessings to all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to have you here Golden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always a joy to learn more about this lovely Christian woman. Golden is a servant of God I strive to emulate, and I love her books.

    Christine Lindsay, author of Shadowed in Silk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your the second writer I know who uses genealogy in stories. Just interviewed Pat Simmons on my radio show who does the same.

    Thanks for sharing

    http://www.pauletteharper.blogspot.com
    www.pauletteharper.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. DEBBIE!!! Love, love, LOVE Golden's work AND love, love, LOVE the Civil War era (big surprise since I'm a GWTW freak!), so I am BEYOND excited to get my hands on Golden's new book! Thanks for a great interview and bringing it to my attention.

    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Julie! Glad to have you here! My crit partner writes CW and I so it's great for me because I love it too! And GWTW is my all time favorite book and movie!

    Paulette and Christine, thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this on my wish list and can't wait to read.,
    Thanks for stopping by to chat and share with us Golden.
    Great interview Golden and Debbie Lynne.

    misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy historical romance and this one sounds like a good read. Please sign me up for your giveaway Debbie Lynne and thank you for the good interview Golden, always enjoy learning more about an author. Also thank you for the opportunity to drop my name in the hat.

    God's Blessings,
    Lori

    triplel(at)evertek(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to read His Steadfast Love, because It Is!! I read Historical Fiction. I appreciate the time period being drawn into the characters' lives. I am catching up on this fun week!!
    lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

    ReplyDelete